Hammock UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hammock UK

A forum to discuss all aspects of hammocks and hammock camping in the UK

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Recent Posts  

what sleep pads

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
caspian40

what sleep pads  Empty
PostSubject: what sleep pads    what sleep pads  EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 16:39

Hi all

Ok so i might have my first hammock  sorted by tonight, time to think about sleep pads  ive looked at the Neoair xlite i think it was, what,  are you guys using what works what doesn't
Back to top Go down
Bopdude

what sleep pads  Empty
PostSubject: Re: what sleep pads    what sleep pads  EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 17:19

The subject of insulation is like a Marmite question, pads or underquilts or both No No there really isn't an answer that would suit all, if I use a pad in a hammock now I stick it and my sleeping bag in a bivvy, keeps everything together, too many nights I've had to adjust migrating pads, are you looking at a pad for comfort or insulation ?
Back to top Go down
caspian40

what sleep pads  Empty
PostSubject: Re: what sleep pads    what sleep pads  EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 17:57

well its a bit of a not sure the warbonnet blackbird im looking at tonight has the Wookie underquilt so was not sure if id still need a pad of some description i guess it would be for comfort if it has the Wookie
Back to top Go down
Bopdude

what sleep pads  Empty
PostSubject: Re: what sleep pads    what sleep pads  EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 19:25

I suppose it depends on which Wookie you're getting as to warmth, maybe try a hang, go out somewhere and just pitch it all, lay in it a while and get a feel of if you're comfy or not, it really is very subjective, sorry Smile
Back to top Go down
caspian40

what sleep pads  Empty
PostSubject: Re: what sleep pads    what sleep pads  EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 19:33

its ok mate i fully understand what your saying i think the wookie that comes with it is a full on winter underquilt i will see later
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

what sleep pads  Empty
PostSubject: Re: what sleep pads    what sleep pads  EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 23:23

Once you go underquilt, you won't go back!
Pads are trixy things in hammocks, and some pads, and some hammocks work better than others. Wider pads are better, because they have to wrap around you somewhat. I ended up gaffer-taping CCF wings onto a Thermarest pad, to give it better coverage in the torso area. Inflatable pads stay put better if you under-inflate them. And a few dots of silicone on the underside help to stop them sliding about.
If your hammock is double layered, putting the pad between the layers keeps it in place, but you do have to keep getting in v and out of the hammock until you have it in the right place. A particularly good double layer hammock for pads is the Hammockbliss Skybed.
Shug had a particularly good video on this very subject,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mekhYiSaNz4&list=PLahaAdtfX9ZLZ33ASVpPBkH55Ns90zkAu
Back to top Go down
caspian40

what sleep pads  Empty
PostSubject: Re: what sleep pads    what sleep pads  EmptyThu 10 Jan 2019, 10:57

Thanks Gadget I actually came across that last night and watched it hes has some great video's
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

what sleep pads  Empty
PostSubject: Re: what sleep pads    what sleep pads  Empty

Back to top Go down

what sleep pads
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hammock UK :: HAMMOCK CAMPING :: Insulation-
Jump to: