A forum to discuss all aspects of hammocks and hammock camping in the UK

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Recent Posts  

Calf ridge

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bopdude

Calf ridge Empty
PostSubject: Calf ridge   Calf ridge EmptySun 13 Jan 2019, 17:01

Hi all, recently acquired a BeUL hammock and foolishly took it out without testing it, it came with a ridge line ready fitted, not sure if Scotty fitted it or the previous owner, anyway, worst nights sleep ever, terrible calf ridge, on getting it back home and measuring things the hammock is 3.5m long and the ridge line 3.0m long, by my reckoning that's 100mm to long following the 83% rule of thumb, would 100mm really make that much difference and be the cause of such a horrible calf ridge ?

Thanks for any and all comments, not looking to blame just looking for comfort Smile
Back to top Go down
Diamond Dave
Diamond Dave

Calf ridge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calf ridge   Calf ridge EmptySun 13 Jan 2019, 19:02

@Bopdude wrote:
Hi all, recently acquired a BeUL hammock and foolishly took it out without testing it, it came with a ridge line ready fitted, not sure if Scotty fitted it or the previous owner, anyway, worst nights sleep ever, terrible calf ridge, on getting it back home and measuring things the hammock is 3.5m long and the ridge line 3.0m long, by my reckoning that's 100mm to long following the 83% rule of thumb, would 100mm really make that much difference and be the cause of such a horrible calf ridge ?

Thanks for any and all comments, not looking to blame just looking for comfort Smile

Shug did a great video on calf ridge, look up his videos and see what you think...
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

Calf ridge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calf ridge   Calf ridge EmptySun 13 Jan 2019, 20:27

100mm is a fair bit really. If your ridgeline is too long, then your hammock is gonna be tighter.

But often a calf ridge can often be sorted by raising the foot end.
Back to top Go down
Bopdude

Calf ridge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calf ridge   Calf ridge EmptySun 13 Jan 2019, 20:45

Yep seen the Shug vid and he does indeed recommend raising the foot end as one way to solve / help things, my problem hence the question is my old hammock hang in the garden isn't long enough to cope with Scotty's hammock, so before I set about drilling new eye bolts I thought I would ask to see what you all felt, if 100mm is a fair amount I'll have to drill and test with the advice /s above, and adjust things, thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

Calf ridge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calf ridge   Calf ridge EmptyMon 14 Jan 2019, 08:12

Not following you there.
If you shorten the ridgeline, how come the garden hang won't be long enough?
Back to top Go down
Bopdude

Calf ridge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calf ridge   Calf ridge EmptyMon 14 Jan 2019, 09:36

My old garden hang won't take the length of the hammock plus whoopie slings, I'll have to drill for more eyed bolts, the original ones were put in before I knew anything about anything and are both too low and to close in reality Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Calf ridge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calf ridge   Calf ridge Empty

Back to top Go down

Calf ridge
Page 1 of 1