Hammock UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hammock UK

A forum to discuss all aspects of hammocks and hammock camping in the UK

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Recent Posts  

Recommendations for a new top/underquilt set

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
pauljm116

Recommendations for a new top/underquilt set Empty
PostSubject: Recommendations for a new top/underquilt set   Recommendations for a new top/underquilt set EmptyMon 14 Jan 2019, 11:07

I have been saving my pennies up for a new top/under quilt set and would like to invest in something that will last. I've also just received my new Dutchware Chameleon wide that came through customs without any charges so I've got the money I put aside to cover import duty to go towards the quilts too. I would prefer to buy from within the EU as I don't like paying import duties but more importantly I want something that will last so will buy from the US if needs be.

I currently use either a Onetigris underquilt with Snugpak top quilt or a set from UK Hammocks (I won't buy from them again though, they do the job but the finishing is shoddy).

I have been looking at a set from Cumulus in Poland, they look and sound perfect and have a 10 year guarantee - see links.
http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-systems/taiga-250?gid=130&vid=1
http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-systems/selva-300?gid=129&vid=1

Has anyone used Cumulus quilts or are there any other recommendations based on your experiences?
Back to top Go down
Bopdude

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for a new top/underquilt set   Recommendations for a new top/underquilt set EmptyMon 14 Jan 2019, 12:20

Are you a fair weather hanger, I only ask as the items you've linked to are rated in the positive temp range, the do however get good reviews.
Back to top Go down
pauljm116

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for a new top/underquilt set   Recommendations for a new top/underquilt set EmptyMon 14 Jan 2019, 12:33

Bopdude wrote:
Are you a fair weather hanger, I only ask as the items you've linked to are rated in the positive temp range, the do however get good reviews.

I'm pretty much a fair weather camper (March - November) so I thought the comfort rating of +2C should be fine and the -4C extreme rating should be good for those odd cold nights.

I did look at the next quilts in the range but decided that a -6C comfort rating would probably be too hot for the summer...or do you think they would be ok and at least I will have the option for winter camping?
Back to top Go down
Bopdude

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for a new top/underquilt set   Recommendations for a new top/underquilt set EmptyMon 14 Jan 2019, 12:35

The extreme rating is a keep you alive just rating imho I would go for a higher rating for sure but I'm sure someone with more knowledge about these products will be along soon Smile
Back to top Go down
pauljm116

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for a new top/underquilt set   Recommendations for a new top/underquilt set EmptyMon 14 Jan 2019, 12:40

Bopdude wrote:
The extreme rating is a keep you alive just rating imho I would go for a higher rating for sure but I'm sure someone with more knowledge about these products will be along soon Smile

It might pay for me to get the next ratings up as they'll be more versatile and if I get too hot I can always chuck the top quilt off.

http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-systems/selva-450?vid=1

http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-systems/taiga-360?vid=1
Back to top Go down
Bopdude

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for a new top/underquilt set   Recommendations for a new top/underquilt set EmptyMon 14 Jan 2019, 13:02

Open the TQ or slacken the UQ but like I said, someone with more knowledge of this manufacturer will be along with some input.
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for a new top/underquilt set   Recommendations for a new top/underquilt set EmptyMon 14 Jan 2019, 14:43

My Hammock Gear stuff is rated at 20°F (-6°C), I use it year-round. You can always stick a cooling fin out from under a TQ, and push aside/slacked a UQ.
In the winter I supplement it with my down jacket, down trousers and down booties (Aliexpress be praised).
Back to top Go down
Exeter
Exeter

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for a new top/underquilt set   Recommendations for a new top/underquilt set EmptyWed 22 Apr 2020, 20:37

I've got a custom Cumulus underquilt on order directly from their polish website - Cumulus Poland

So I'll let you know how I get on with it.
Back to top Go down
SteveB6
SteveB6

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for a new top/underquilt set   Recommendations for a new top/underquilt set EmptyMon 27 Apr 2020, 17:20

Exeter wrote:
I've got a custom Cumulus underquilt on order directly from their polish website - Cumulus Poland

So I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Looking forward to hearing what you think, one of my pals has one of their quilts and has strong views on it (no spoliers). So it'll be interesting to hear what you think.

Cheers
Steve
Back to top Go down
Exeter
Exeter

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for a new top/underquilt set   Recommendations for a new top/underquilt set EmptyThu 21 May 2020, 21:25

The build quality is nuts, I’ll post a review with photos when I’ve got the time.
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for a new top/underquilt set   Recommendations for a new top/underquilt set EmptyMon 25 May 2020, 19:20

My friend's Cumulus UQ looks well built.
And pretty conservative with the comfort rating, it is definitely puffier than my equivalent -6°C HammockGear UQ.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for a new top/underquilt set   Recommendations for a new top/underquilt set Empty

Back to top Go down

Recommendations for a new top/underquilt set
Page 1 of 1