Hammock UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hammock UK

A forum to discuss all aspects of hammocks and hammock camping in the UK

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Recent Posts  

Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension....

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... Empty
PostSubject: Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension....   Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... EmptyWed 27 Jun 2018, 07:54

.... Dutch ups the ante!

Dutchware have just brought out an even lighter Dyneema webbing,
https://dutchwaregear.com/product/spider-web-1-5-straps-and-huggers/

1.5g per foot!!
Back to top Go down
R.lewis

PostSubject: Re: Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension....   Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... EmptyWed 27 Jun 2018, 13:11

I have Dutchs Kevlar straps. Like ribbons! The pair is less then a quarter the weight and size of one conventional strap!
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension....   Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... EmptyWed 27 Jun 2018, 17:17

I have the 2g per foot stuff, less than 50g for two twelve foot straps.
Still sorely tempted... 36g total for suspension would confer bragging rights. afro
Back to top Go down
Diamond Dave
Diamond Dave

PostSubject: Re: Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension....   Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... EmptyWed 27 Jun 2018, 18:50

I like that 1.5 tape could be tempted for that.
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension....   Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... EmptyWed 27 Jun 2018, 20:21

I feel a group buy coming on...
https://dutchwaregear.com/product/spider-web-1-5-10-feet/
US$1.50 per foot (plus shipping and all the import shenanigans)
Back to top Go down
Diamond Dave
Diamond Dave

PostSubject: Re: Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension....   Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... EmptyWed 27 Jun 2018, 20:37

Now that sounds good.....
Back to top Go down
R.lewis

PostSubject: Re: Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension....   Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... EmptyWed 27 Jun 2018, 21:57

Damn you Dutch! You mean I no longer have the lightest straps! The man just keeps pushing the boundaries.
Back to top Go down
R.lewis

PostSubject: Re: Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension....   Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... EmptyWed 27 Jun 2018, 22:08

Nope I guess I still may have the bragging rights 20g including Dutch clips....

https://i.servimg.com/u/f91/19/93/45/68/20180610.jpg
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension....   Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... EmptyWed 27 Jun 2018, 23:24

How long are they?
What they made from.... Helium??!
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension....   Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... EmptyWed 27 Jun 2018, 23:27

Woah-woah, hang on, are you pulling my plonker?
Dutch clips weigh 16.24 g on their own!!
https://dutchwaregear.com/product/titanium-dutch-clips/
Back to top Go down
R.lewis

PostSubject: Re: Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension....   Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... EmptyThu 28 Jun 2018, 00:52

Calibrated scales twice. I shall check again tomorrow and weigh with and without clips....
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension....   Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... EmptyThu 28 Jun 2018, 05:56

Are you weighing one, or both straps?
Just read the Dutchware description again, Dutch clips weigh in at 7.5g each (the sew-on bein weighs over 9g).
So, if you are only weighing one strap, with its clip,
Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... 20180610,
That leaves 12.5g for the webbing.
Let's say you have 10ft of webbing, that would be 1.25g per foot! That would be remarkable.

Of course, one way of lightening things is to use shorter straps, but that can be a bit limiting.
Or instead of strap all the way to the hammock, you could use a whoopie sling, but they weigh more than 2g per foot, so no savings there. If you use a single strand of 2.5mm dyneema, then that is a bit lighter (1.6g/ft).
That is what I do here,
Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... 41855593915_4e558b37dc_b
That's 45g for two straps, totalling 2 x 12ft, each strap is 6ft of 1" dyneema webbing and a 6ft dogbone of 2.5mm hollow braid dyneema.
Back to top Go down
R.lewis

PostSubject: Re: Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension....   Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... EmptyThu 28 Jun 2018, 10:14

There was something under the scales throwing it off! Lol.

21 gram for both straps, 5 foot long and 15 for clips. Total 36 gram.
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension....   Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... EmptyThu 28 Jun 2018, 12:09

thumb up
So what are they? Kevlar 2.2?
5 foot is quite short, I take it you are using them with some other suspension, whoopie slings?
Or do you hang from skinny trees, close together? ROFL Laughing
Back to top Go down
R.lewis

PostSubject: Re: Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension....   Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... EmptyThu 28 Jun 2018, 21:17

Yeah, they are a bit short. Only use in woods locally when I know the trees! Have whoopies on the hammock and with double ended straps gone round huge trees with ease.

Most of time these are in my little daybag with my pocket edc hammock. Whole system is very compact.
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension....   Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... EmptyFri 29 Jun 2018, 09:11

To give you an idea of the costs involved in a group buy...
If I got 60 feet, that would be US$104.50 shipped, below the import duty rate, just VAT and handling charge.
So, that would be £79.65 x 1.2 = £95.58 plus £12 handling charge Evil or Very Mad = £107.58
That would work out at £1.80 per foot.

If I got ambitious, and push the order up to just under the duty limit (£135), I could get 100ft, that would come to £125.31 shipped (a bit of a margin for exchange rate vagaries).
So, that would be £125.31 x 1.2 = £150.38 plus £12 handling charge Sad = £162.38
That would work out at £1.64 per foot.

(You would have to add onto that cost, the cost of me posting it to you. But that wouldn't be very much)
Back to top Go down
R.lewis

PostSubject: Re: Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension....   Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... EmptyFri 29 Jun 2018, 16:50

I could be interested in 30 foot of this. Now I know this is lighter then whoopies I feel a redesign coming!
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension....   Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... EmptyFri 29 Jun 2018, 17:15

You need to be aware it doesn't play nicely with buckles, but here are some other options.

Initial tests (from last year)
Short on buckles ATM. Only have Adutchable Buckles here, threaded on very easily, was a bit worried it might slip, but found a way to add an extra turn to make it super secure (didn't hang from them tho').
Loop Aliens
These are my go-to suspension, got them on all the CLs on my various hammocks. Both types threaded easily enough and held with three turns around the back,
Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... 33329034643_95bd6fcf2a_b

Becket Hitch
Hitched onto a 7/64" (2.5mm) Amsteel CL
The plain weave held fine,
Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... 34140779615_d5f181608c_b
but the twill weave slipped consistently when I sat down, slipped slowly through, creating fair heat by friction. A double Becket hitch fixed it.
Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... 33298166354_b213ca47a2_b

MSH and Toggle
Both types held fine with the MSH (onto Hammock CL),
Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... 34010119911_3da5706f7c_b
Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... 33983171332_997f307124_b
forgive the rather agricultural toggles, it's not a system I use generally.

I use the 2.0 with Loop Aliens exclusively now. A work colleague uses Becket Hitch with his.

Last edited by Gadget on Fri 29 Jun 2018, 19:09; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
R.lewis

PostSubject: Re: Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension....   Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... EmptyFri 29 Jun 2018, 17:39

I'd probably marlin spike it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension....   Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Just When You Thought You Had The Lightest Suspension....
Page 1 of 1