Hammock UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hammock UK

A forum to discuss all aspects of hammocks and hammock camping in the UK

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Recent Posts  

Buying from the USA

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jacko1066

Buying from the USA Empty
PostSubject: Buying from the USA   Buying from the USA EmptyThu 05 Jul 2018, 11:25

Hi guys,
Was just wondering whether there is any value in if any of us wanted to buy shiney stuff from the states, whether it could be worth grouping together to save on shipping etc?
Obviously I mean a big order from a single vendor like Dutch etc.

Open to opinions?

Cheers all
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: Buying from the USA   Buying from the USA EmptyFri 06 Jul 2018, 14:20

A group buy is a deceptively big undertaking, especially when ordering outside the EU, so make sure what you are getting into.
If you wish to do a group buy on the forum, I will issue some guidelines. The most important being it is strictly non-profit.

If you haven't done much buying from overseas, here is a rough outline of what is involved.
Any transaction will be at the mercy of your bank's (or paypal's) exchange rate. They will also charge a non Sterling transaction fee (around 3%)

Anything over £15 (that's goods plus shipping/insurance), gets hit by VAT, and a handling charge by Royal Mail (or whoever is the onward carrier) of £8 - £15

Over £135 you get VAT (20%), then import duty (variable, depending on goods category, but usually around 10%) and finally the handling charge.
https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

As a rule of thumb, if you spend $100 you usually end up paying £100 (more if the exchange rate is bad).
Back to top Go down
MrGoose

PostSubject: Re: Buying from the USA   Buying from the USA EmptyWed 08 Aug 2018, 16:33

Henge hammocks (eBay seller) can get stuff from Dutch. Great if you want small things like beetle buckles etc.
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: Buying from the USA   Buying from the USA EmptyWed 08 Aug 2018, 17:04

I think I may be buying a reel of 2.5mm (7/64") Amsteel sometime soon. Any interest in getting some?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buying from the USA   Buying from the USA Empty

Back to top Go down

Buying from the USA
Page 1 of 1