Hammock UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hammock UK

A forum to discuss all aspects of hammocks and hammock camping in the UK

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Recent Posts  

So.....How do you rig your tarp???

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SteveB6
SteveB6

So.....How do you rig your tarp??? Empty
PostSubject: So.....How do you rig your tarp???   So.....How do you rig your tarp??? EmptySat 08 Sep 2018, 12:23

I'm interested.....how do people rig their tarps? I'm always trying to find that balance between quick/ ease of deployment and de-rigging and compact storage.

When I started I used two separate lines, one on each end of the tarp and tied them around the trees, easy to deploy, simple to do but had to make sure excess line was attached to allow for various girth of trees and often ended up with the tarp on the floor when packing away.

Then moved onto a single tarp ridgeline with a dutchware tarp hook at one end and tied the other around the tree, with the line threaded through the loops on the tarp, and TATO tarp connectors on prussic loops at each end of the tarp. Quickly this evolved into a continuous ridgeline using Dutchware Stingerz. - Great for adjustments, good for packing the tarp away without getting it on the ground but I found the TATO tarp connectors were fiddly to take off as the tautness of the ridegline made them really difficult to remove, ikewise the Dutchware Stingerz.

Then moved onto a single ridgeline with loop aliens from Henge hammocks. Carabiners added to the tarp loops with prussic loops on the end ones which clipped onto the ridgeline once it has been put up. Easy to deploy the ridgeline whilst the tarp isn't attached, easy to clip on and then adjust the tarp and easy to slide the tarp into the middle of the ridgeline into the stuffsack without it touching the ground, unclip the tarp and take down the ridgeline and store without it getting tangled. - Like it!

So what do you do??????

Cheers

Steve
Back to top Go down
Meadows

PostSubject: Re: So.....How do you rig your tarp???   So.....How do you rig your tarp??? EmptySat 08 Sep 2018, 13:43

I use a continuous ridgeline with a soft shackle at one end and a ucr and soft shakle for the other. Made with Stein 2.2mm dyneema.
Back to top Go down
SteveB6
SteveB6

PostSubject: Re: So.....How do you rig your tarp???   So.....How do you rig your tarp??? EmptyWed 12 Sep 2018, 07:39

Has anyone tried the method shown by Spiguyver in this YT video?

I'm sceptical that the tarp would move about too much when you shift in the hammock, however, being a Gearaholic (I expect we all are here :-) ) I have ordered a set of the suspension to try it out and will report back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xro1l4e9-hU&t=498s

Cheers
Steve
Back to top Go down
Meadows

PostSubject: Re: So.....How do you rig your tarp???   So.....How do you rig your tarp??? EmptySat 15 Sep 2018, 14:18

I've tried something similar but with shock cord on the ridge tie outs to atop the sag. I like the extra loop on the prussic to make it easy to adjust.
Back to top Go down
SteveB6
SteveB6

PostSubject: Re: So.....How do you rig your tarp???   So.....How do you rig your tarp??? EmptySat 15 Sep 2018, 19:38

Meadows,

Do you still use that method? Did you have any issues when moving about in the hammock? Any pics?

Cheers
Steve
Back to top Go down
Meadows

PostSubject: Re: So.....How do you rig your tarp???   So.....How do you rig your tarp??? EmptySun 16 Sep 2018, 13:24

Don't recall any problems with the tarp moving but I don't swing too much. A small prussic on the suspension with a shock cord loop that clipped to the tarp rl tieout. I sometimes like to put the tarp over the rl if it's blustery so don't really use it anymore.
I might revisit it though as I'm putting together a really small and light day hang setup.
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: So.....How do you rig your tarp???   So.....How do you rig your tarp??? EmptyTue 18 Sep 2018, 07:45

This is me,

Stuck with it for 3 years now, very happy with it.
Back to top Go down
SteveB6
SteveB6

PostSubject: Re: So.....How do you rig your tarp???   So.....How do you rig your tarp??? EmptyTue 18 Sep 2018, 21:39

Yes that's what I use at the moment, but the appeal of not having to faff around with a separate line for the tarp appeals (if the idea works).

Apparently my gear arrived at Heathrow this morning, so hopefully it'll arrive before this weekend's outing (not likely if HMRC take a hand in it) :-)

Cheers
Steve
Back to top Go down
Meadows

PostSubject: Re: So.....How do you rig your tarp???   So.....How do you rig your tarp??? EmptyTue 18 Sep 2018, 22:16

I've never tried a separate line at each end of the rl. I might have a play with using a small crab on the tarp tie out along with a single line and using an Italian hitch to secure it. That way is still get the 'V' as close as possible to the tarp.
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: So.....How do you rig your tarp???   So.....How do you rig your tarp??? EmptyTue 18 Sep 2018, 22:26

Italian hitch ain't a great choice for securing things!
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: So.....How do you rig your tarp???   So.....How do you rig your tarp??? EmptyTue 18 Sep 2018, 22:40

SteveB6 wrote:
not having to faff around with a separate line for the tarp appeals
The necessity of having to hang your hammock before pitching your tarp does not appeal to me (especially if it's persisting down with rain).
It also limits how high you can pitch your tarp, I like to set it higher than my hammock suspension if there's no wind.
I also like to have my tarp low at the head end (to block wind), and high at the foot end (for good views and good headroom when entering and exiting).
Back to top Go down
Meadows

PostSubject: Re: So.....How do you rig your tarp???   So.....How do you rig your tarp??? EmptyWed 19 Sep 2018, 15:11

My musings over the spiguyver method were about setting up in the rain, there may be a work around but seems faffy which is not what you want in the rain.
Italian hitch (locked off) should be bomber but need to try it with slippery dyneema.
Back to top Go down
SteveB6
SteveB6

PostSubject: Re: So.....How do you rig your tarp???   So.....How do you rig your tarp??? EmptyWed 19 Sep 2018, 17:30

[/quote] The necessity of having to hang your hammock before pitching your tarp does not appeal to me (especially if it's persisting down [/quote]

Paul, not quite sure why you would think that is a necessity? You can put the tarp up onto the tree straps first and then tie the hammock on afterwards. The order of setting up/ take down is not dictated by the system. The tarp will always be pitched on the tree strap closer to the tree than the loop of the hammock, this system does not dictate which way round you do it?

Cheers
Steve
Back to top Go down
Iron Fist
Iron Fist

PostSubject: Re: So.....How do you rig your tarp???   So.....How do you rig your tarp??? EmptyWed 17 Jul 2019, 17:08

I use the dutchware continuous ridgeline with a dutch hook one end and a Wasp the other. I use prussiks to hold in place and so it can go over or hang below the RL. I use a single snakeskin to hold it all.

I also use Dutch Stingerz either end on some of my lighter tarp, this I store in a double ended stuff sack.

Both work really well but the stingerz do allow you to attach your tarp straight to your hammock suspension which is excellent for me. I like my tarp low and close and I don't get the straps and ridgeline rubbing together.
You can either set up your hammock first or the tarp. The straps I use are lightweight daisy chains from dutch. You can then just carabiner the tarp ends onto the strap loops. Easy. You do have to be careful not to pull it too tight as when you sit in it, it could cause it to pull a little and I have had a little cheap carabiner break on me doing this.

Most of my friends use the continuous RL as they prefer snakeskins and like to have their tarps above head height sometimes so they can stand.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So.....How do you rig your tarp???   So.....How do you rig your tarp??? Empty

Back to top Go down

So.....How do you rig your tarp???
Page 1 of 1