Hammock UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hammock UK

A forum to discuss all aspects of hammocks and hammock camping in the UK

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Recent Posts  

So what is your favourite tarp and why?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Iron Fist
Iron Fist

So what is your favourite tarp and why? Empty
PostSubject: So what is your favourite tarp and why?   So what is your favourite tarp and why? EmptyFri 18 Oct 2019, 10:59

I have a few different types of tarps.
Started with a 3 by 3m dd tarp and this was an excellent price. It's a little heavy but very well made with plenty of attachment points.
the major problem was it was too short for my 11ft hammock unless i did the diamond configuration.
Next I bought two from Dutchware Gear, the summer wide aysm tarp and the winter tarp.
I have only used the summer one a few times as to be honest I am not really a fan of it. It has plenty of atttachment points so you can peg it down to get as much cover as you can but I don't want to carry extra pegs incase.
the winter tarp on the other hand is excellent, i cannot fault it. Pitched it is like a floating tent. In summer you can easily pull the doors back to allow more air flow. I think if you only buy one tarp for all year one like this with the doors is the way. Stick it in a pair of snake skins and you are laughing.
I then purchased a Warbonnet Thunderfly which is like a short version of the winter tarp with peaks instead of doors. I have hardly used anything else since getting it. I love it.
I like to hang my tarp low so this give me ample coverage from the wind and rain without the extra weight. I got mine with no side panels(my mate has some on his and uses them every time he comes out-so it preference) as I find it is just more to peg out. My current Thunderfly set up uses just four pegs and two 10ft pieces of zing it to tie and pull the peaks to the trees. I love it.
I do have an expensive dyneema tarp too (about the same size as the thunderfly but with doors instead of peaks) I am not really impressed. Yes it is incredibly lightweight, stupidly light but it feels like a cheap crisp packet and I know its meant to be very tough but it doesn't seem so and with the price tag its just a worry I could live without. The winter tarp i have feels much nicer to the touch and packs away so much smaller and easier.
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: So what is your favourite tarp and why?   So what is your favourite tarp and why? EmptyThu 14 Nov 2019, 19:13

My fave is my DIY 11.5' winter tarp with asymmetric doors, made with RSBTR membrane simply.
Got a DD 4x4 which is good for tandem hangs.
And the £20 hex tarps from Lidl are an excellent loaner, and surprisingly light.
Back to top Go down
SteveB6
SteveB6

PostSubject: Re: So what is your favourite tarp and why?   So what is your favourite tarp and why? EmptySun 24 Nov 2019, 20:24

Great topic! I have 9 tarps (I know, I know, I have a problem). At the moment my favourite tarp is the napsack modular tarp (v1.0). A good balance of weight/ coverage, tie outs and doors.
Back to top Go down
Mittagsfrost

PostSubject: Re: So what is your favourite tarp and why?   So what is your favourite tarp and why? EmptyMon 25 Nov 2019, 06:18

@SteveB6 I understand your problem. Too less hammocks for the given amount of tarps. Wink

I own a GoLite poncho tarp (221g, 2.64 m x 1.47 m) and an orange DIY poncho tarp (269 g, 2.74x1.47 m) for use with my bridge hammock.
With gathered end hammocks I mostly use a brown DIY Minifly clone (334 g, 3.35x2.40) or an orange Thunderfly clone (475 g, 3.30x2.50 m).
One of my first tarps was a DD SuperLight tarp (460 g, 3.00x2.90 m), which I now use with 9 foot hammocks or 4.5 foot hanging chairs for short naps.
In very bad weather conditions - you guys from the isle know what I mean - I’m happy to have a Warbonnet Superfly (546 g, 3.35x3.05 m) for full coverage.

You may wonder: why orange tarps? It‘s contrary to all rules of stealth camping! Yes, that’s true. But orange colour has some advantages.
I use these tarps in my garden, under the cherry trees. The bright colour warms your heart when cold rain drops hit the tarp.
At group hangs in camping areas it’s difficult to find your hanging place amongst all the brown and olive tarps. Unless your tarp is visible. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So what is your favourite tarp and why?   So what is your favourite tarp and why? Empty

Back to top Go down

So what is your favourite tarp and why?
Page 1 of 1