Hammock UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hammock UK

A forum to discuss all aspects of hammocks and hammock camping in the UK

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Recent Posts  

DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.

Go down 
+3
Will
Gadget
jay
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jay
jay

DD tarp about to retire looking for something different. Empty
PostSubject: DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.   DD tarp about to retire looking for something different. EmptyMon 02 Jul 2018, 15:50

Well after many years trusty service my dd 3 x 3 is about ready to be replaced. I am looking for either a 3 x 3m or 4 x 3m tarp. I have a tw sargasso tarp I can use in the interim, but I fancy a change from DD.

So far I have narrowed it down to a 3 x 3 Aquaquest Defender, heavy I know but I don't walk too far in for it be an issue.

Bulldog Elite Evolution 3 x 3

OneTigris 4 x 3

Does anyone here have any experience with the above and or could you recommend anything else? My budget will stretch to £80.00

Thanks

jay
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.   DD tarp about to retire looking for something different. EmptyMon 02 Jul 2018, 19:12

How long is your hammock?
Back to top Go down
jay
jay

PostSubject: Re: DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.   DD tarp about to retire looking for something different. EmptyMon 02 Jul 2018, 19:14

They very from 3m to 2.8m. long.
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.   DD tarp about to retire looking for something different. EmptyMon 02 Jul 2018, 21:16

Well I guess the 3x3m ones will be fine for shorter hammocks like that. Because I like an 11' hammock, I have to lug about a longer tarp.
You wanna stick with square (or rectangular) tarps? Not tempted by a hex?
Interested that you are using a Sargasso, I have one somewhere, I find it a little too long and a little too narrow. Fine summer tarp, but lacks coverage when the wind blows.
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.   DD tarp about to retire looking for something different. EmptyMon 02 Jul 2018, 21:21

That Aquaquest Defender is a beast!
That should handle a bit of a beating.
Back to top Go down
jay
jay

PostSubject: Re: DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.   DD tarp about to retire looking for something different. EmptyTue 03 Jul 2018, 09:26

What size tarp do you use for your 11ft hammock? I am asking as I am going to have a bash at making a longer one soon. I do like the look of the hex type tarps, but I guess I just prefer the standard shape.

Yeah TW missed a trick with the sargasso it deffo needs to be wider and I would not take it on a winter trip. It seems TW are off the boil at the moment as they have very limited stock and have done for some time. It would be a shame if they shut up shop.

So far I am veering towards the aquaquest defender 3 x 3. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Will
Will

PostSubject: Re: DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.   DD tarp about to retire looking for something different. EmptyTue 03 Jul 2018, 10:02

My tarp is hex 3.45m, fits perfect for a 11ft hammock. Also have detachable doors for when the weather is bad.
Back to top Go down
jay
jay

PostSubject: Re: DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.   DD tarp about to retire looking for something different. EmptyTue 03 Jul 2018, 11:01

Hi Will that sounds a good tarp, like the idea of the detachable doors, what make is it please?
Back to top Go down
Will
Will

PostSubject: Re: DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.   DD tarp about to retire looking for something different. EmptyTue 03 Jul 2018, 11:07

It’s a bespoke ultralight, made by Scott knoles, unfortunately he’s not making gear anymore.
Back to top Go down
jay
jay

PostSubject: Re: DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.   DD tarp about to retire looking for something different. EmptyTue 03 Jul 2018, 11:15

Thanks will, its a shame he is not making anymore. If its the same guy I am thinking of Scottyvonporkchop, a couple of my mates bought hammocks from him and they looked well made.
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.   DD tarp about to retire looking for something different. EmptyTue 03 Jul 2018, 12:01

Yeah, Scotty bit off a bit more than he could chew (plus health problems didn't help).
It's always gonna be a problem with a fledgling one-man band, overcommitting, under-charging. It's hard to turn away business when your margins are so small.
I think his business model was flawed anyway, doing tons of bespoke work slows production down, puts costs up. A small product range, and if customers want custom work charge them a premium rate to reflect the extra costs involved.
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.   DD tarp about to retire looking for something different. EmptyTue 03 Jul 2018, 12:12

jay wrote:
What size tarp do you use for your 11ft hammock? I am asking as I am going  to have a bash at making a longer one soon.
The general rule is, the tarp should be at least as long as your hammock. Then, with the sag of the hammock, you'll have reasonable overlap at each end. My 11' DIY hammock has a 110" SRL, so my 11'8" tarp (a DIY silpoly, based on a Superfly) has 15" of overlap at each end.
But, counter-intuitively, length is not everything (oo-err missus). There comes a time when excessive length just gets in the way. You see, when a tarp is too long, it can't be pitched low, because it hits the hammock suspension as it comes down from the tree (at 30° obviously Cool ), therefore you lose coverage at the sides, exposing you to the weatheryness.
Width is always your friend.
Back to top Go down
jay
jay

PostSubject: Re: DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.   DD tarp about to retire looking for something different. EmptyTue 03 Jul 2018, 13:11

Thanks for the info on tarp coverage, most useful. And I am sorry to hear things are not going to well for Scotty, I hope he gets sorted.
Back to top Go down
Jacko1066

PostSubject: Re: DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.   DD tarp about to retire looking for something different. EmptyMon 16 Jul 2018, 08:26

Personally, if your just going to get one tarp, either get one with doors, I love my superfly, or may get one long enough you could make doors by hanging it differently.
My friend has a jacks r better 4m x 3m and hangs it in a way that he has doors to close out the wind.
Back to top Go down
jay
jay

PostSubject: Re: DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.   DD tarp about to retire looking for something different. EmptyMon 16 Jul 2018, 22:03

Hi Jacko1066 thanks they are both fine looking tarps, if only they sold them in the UK as I hate getting stung by customs & Royal Mail.

After an inordinate amount of dithering and dallying I am going to go for the Aquaquest safari 4m x 3m.
Back to top Go down
pauljm116

PostSubject: Re: DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.   DD tarp about to retire looking for something different. EmptyTue 17 Jul 2018, 10:35

There are a couple of European based Warbonnet retailers, so no customs fees or Royal Mail charges. They are quite expensive though at about £160 - £175 but thought I should mention it for possible future use.

https://www.bushcraftshop.nl/warbonnet-superfly-tarp.html

https://bushcraftbutikken.dk/shop/4-haengekoejer---tarps/312-warbonnet-superfly/
Back to top Go down
Mittagsfrost

PostSubject: Re: DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.   DD tarp about to retire looking for something different. EmptyTue 17 Jul 2018, 18:06

And another european Warbonnet (and Dutchware) retailer: www.hammockfairy.com
No worries, the owner is planning a new user interface and an english version.
Back to top Go down
jay
jay

PostSubject: Re: DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.   DD tarp about to retire looking for something different. EmptyTue 17 Jul 2018, 18:37

Thank you Pauljm116 and Mittagsfrost, I had no idea you could get Warbonnet stuff in the EU, I shall have a look the sites. double thumb up
Back to top Go down
Jacko1066

PostSubject: Re: DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.   DD tarp about to retire looking for something different. EmptyThu 19 Jul 2018, 12:32

Awesome gentlemen
Back to top Go down
R.lewis

PostSubject: Re: DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.   DD tarp about to retire looking for something different. EmptyFri 20 Jul 2018, 11:52

I have the warbonnet superfly, which I use if backpacking as its coverage is great and really lightweight. If car camping I prefer a 4x4 tarp for the awesome extra space when one side is raised. For that an aquaquest would be perfect from what I've heard, got one on order from BCUK group buy..

We have a Dutchware Chameleon and for that a 3x3 is too small unless you pitch it diamond style.
Back to top Go down
jay
jay

PostSubject: Re: DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.   DD tarp about to retire looking for something different. EmptyFri 20 Jul 2018, 18:12

Cheers R.Lewis I look forward to hearing what you reckon to the aquaquest tarp as that is the brand I shall be going for, I would have been interested in the dd 3.5m x 3.5m, but they don't make them in Coyote Brown like they used to the 3x3 and I don't like their dark green nor their version of multicam.
Back to top Go down
R.lewis

PostSubject: Re: DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.   DD tarp about to retire looking for something different. EmptyFri 20 Jul 2018, 23:34

I hear you with the dark green. I have the 4x4 in coyote, it's a good colour. I do like the multicam though. The aquaquest I have on order is the huge 4x6, intended for use as a double hammock tarp for my missus and little girl. We tend to have a crazy joining of two tarps for them, this seems a better solution! I doubt I will ever buy another DD tarp though, have had too many centre tie outs fail. We do have six of them, 2 each if 3x3, 4x4 and 4.5x3.. To be replaced with better as they fail. They are cheap and good start out still. Just weak.
Back to top Go down
R.lewis

PostSubject: Re: DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.   DD tarp about to retire looking for something different. EmptyFri 20 Jul 2018, 23:57

The superfly is great, but you do need to seal the centre tie outs as they do not. They will leak! Mind you i still have not after four years use! That and it feels a little cramped on long term camps
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.   DD tarp about to retire looking for something different. EmptySat 21 Jul 2018, 06:59

R.lewis wrote:
have had too many centre tie outs fail
Edge or ridgeline?
Back to top Go down
R.lewis

PostSubject: Re: DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.   DD tarp about to retire looking for something different. EmptySat 21 Jul 2018, 10:51

Any that are not on the edge.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.   DD tarp about to retire looking for something different. Empty

Back to top Go down

DD tarp about to retire looking for something different.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next