Hammock UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hammock UK

A forum to discuss all aspects of hammocks and hammock camping in the UK

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Recent Posts  

Advice required

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
caspian40

Advice required Empty
PostSubject: Advice required   Advice required EmptyTue 08 Jan 2019, 20:54

Hello all,

ok iv'e just registered tonight as iv'e been looking at buying a Hammock but its the proverbial nightmare so many to look at online but nowhere to go look and check these bits of kit out where do i start?.

DD / HENESSEY / UK HAMMOCKS /WARBONNET/ the list goes on and on having never sat lay slept in one where do you begin id like a 4 season setup i have a DD3x3 tarp but i have seen Catdoor tarps like the look of those thats the easy bit sorted but what about the main bit of kit ive looked at UK Hammocks site ive looked at the hennessy site and DD nowhere to go and view them.
I live in Suffolk so the only place i have been told of is The Bushcraft Store in Essex but they dont do all three only DD so any advice welcome
Back to top Go down
Diamond Dave
Diamond Dave

Advice required Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice required   Advice required EmptyTue 08 Jan 2019, 21:17

The Catdoor is a great tarp but so is the Warbonnet and Easyhammock gear, my advise would be go for the top end gear because if you don't take to Hammocking you'll get a good price should you wish to sell it.
Back to top Go down
caspian40

Advice required Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice required   Advice required EmptyTue 08 Jan 2019, 21:38

Hi Diamond Dave budget isn't an issue so would always look at buying something of quality my dilemma is what is decent what do you guys use what should i steer clear of ive seen a post the wasn't prepared to recommend one uk manufacturer but not sure if that's still the case yet another post where they would only recommend said manufacturer i'd be looking to buy a full system or would i be wise to build a system from different manufacturers
Back to top Go down
Diamond Dave
Diamond Dave

Advice required Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice required   Advice required EmptyTue 08 Jan 2019, 22:11

I have both the Catdoor tarp from UK Hammocks and the Watbonnet Ridgeline Tarp both are excellent.

My winter hammock is my Easyhammock and in the summer I have a UK Hammock Expedition hammock. Both again excellent piece of equipment. That said if I could guarantee getting the use out of it I would go for the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. I have had every type of the popular hammocks but only by using them yourself will you decide. Like most of us you will need to spend a little cash to find the one you prefer, and like us end up with a garage load of tarps and hammocks that we have purchased. That said its been a great journey.
Back to top Go down
caspian40

Advice required Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice required   Advice required EmptyTue 08 Jan 2019, 23:00

Thanks Dave the uk hammocks was the one that was not recommended at the particular time of the post i'd seen but im guessing they have since upped their game as it was one i was recommended on buying the X Hammock was the one recommended on wild camping uk think it was around £100
Back to top Go down
Bopdude

Advice required Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice required   Advice required EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 08:04

When do you propose to go out, all year or just warmer months ? either way you need insulating from below, a decent underquilt is a must imho, as stated, there are a number of options for all seasons.
Back to top Go down
caspian40

Advice required Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice required   Advice required EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 08:47

Hi Bopdude yes i'm looking for a 4 season setup i watched a video of the Warbonnet blackbird xlc last night after a reply from Diamond Dave  but to get fully kitted out would cost a small fortune if i were  to buy  all the extras and get one shipped over here, unless there is a UK importer.   iv'e seen the new Henessy hammock 4 season online and a video of that system but wasn't convinced on the insulating pad and space blanket  UK Hammock have not posted any recent video's of their kit so  that's about as far as iv'e gotten so signed up here last night i have asked for help on wild camping uk facebook page but my post got hijacked and didn't really get much in the way of loads of advice
Back to top Go down
Bopdude

Advice required Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice required   Advice required EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 09:17

There is a guy called Scotty von Porkchop, don't let the name put you off, he has stopped making now but his gear had a good following with good reviews, @Diamond Dave has some of his gear iirc, anyway,he's selling a job lot bundle on one of the facebook pages I'm on, including hammock, winter underquilt, summer quilt /s and more, if interested I can link you to it.
Back to top Go down
caspian40

Advice required Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice required   Advice required EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 09:24

Hi Bopdude yeah its worth a look mate thanks
Back to top Go down
Bopdude

Advice required Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice required   Advice required EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 09:49

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1880083958975818/?ref=bookmarks

Is the group

And this is the write up

A selection of prototypes from bespokeultralight.com. All used but decent condition, though some sewing is off as it's just prototypes I made-up for myself (all work, the disasters are destroyed! �) I'm selling a doubled up underquilt (2x summertime weight UQs that snap together got a winter UQ, I've used it at -10C comfortably. An 11' 1oz/y2 stretch footbox hammock. A two tone tarp with no centre ridgeline and a set of snap on doors. Edelrid dyneema and DMM suspension (or bull line or kevlar if you'd prefer. Dyneema ridge-line and organiser. Also listed on instagram, PayPal or buyer collects

The post on the group is December 12th so you'll need to scroll down once you get the invite, closed group Smile
Back to top Go down
caspian40

Advice required Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice required   Advice required EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 09:55

Thanks Bopdude have just joined well awaiting admin to accept will go have a look
Back to top Go down
caspian40

Advice required Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice required   Advice required EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 10:42

Bopdude hi mate cant find that gear no posts showing from Dec 12th
Back to top Go down
caspian40

Advice required Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice required   Advice required EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 10:45

Bopdude just copied this from a post so it may have been rejected.

The admins are enforcing the "no weight post declined" requirement, see the description (the admins approve or decline all posts). There are a large number of posts that are either not UL kit, or with no weight.

We don't want this page to end up as general kit for sale - please help us by only posting UL kit and adding weights
Back to top Go down
pauljm116

Advice required Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice required   Advice required EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 12:13

I personally would avoid UK Hammocks, I've had some under par quality gear from them and have seen lots worse, customer service isn't great either.

There are a few European sellers of Warbonnet gear (see link below) but in my experience it still works out slightly cheaper (even with import fees etc) to buy direct from them.

The warbonnet Superfly is an amazing tarp that is good for all seasons. I got a Dream Hammocks Sparrow last year (amazing custom built quality but with a price tag to match) and have a Dutchware Chameleon on its way to me, both have bug nets and top covers for winter. At the moment I'm using UK Hammocks top and under quilts (they're not great quality but do the job) but am looking at upgrading to Cumulus quilts as I've heard good things about them.

https://www.bushcraftshop.nl/brands/warbonnet-outdoors/
Back to top Go down
caspian40

Advice required Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice required   Advice required EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 12:29

Thanks Pauljim116 i may have just brought a Warbonnet xlc dl with wookie under quilt and Top cover going to view it later
Back to top Go down
pauljm116

Advice required Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice required   Advice required EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 12:35

caspian40 wrote:
Thanks Pauljim116 i may have just brought a Warbonnet xlc dl  with wookie under quilt and Top cover going to view it later

You should be good with them, I've heard nothing but good about Blackbird XLC hammocks. I nearly bought one myself but wasn't sure if the shelf would work with my underquilt but the wookie is specifically made for the Blackbird so will work fine.
Back to top Go down
caspian40

Advice required Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice required   Advice required EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 13:09

Well iv'e got a time to go view it will need to buy a new trap so will look at getting the superfly tarp from the EU and a few other bits and bobs no doubt
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

Advice required Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice required   Advice required EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 14:00

Just in case you haven't found them yet, have a look at the suppliers lists in the Useful Links Sticky,
https://hammock-uk.forumotion.com/t13-useful-links
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

Advice required Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice required   Advice required EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 14:10

If you end up with the Blackbird XLC, you could pair it with a Napsack Hammocks tarp,
https://www.napsackhammocks.com/product-page/tarp-with-zip-closure-doors
that's Stevie's (of this parish) company
the 112" ridgeline XLC would fit under that with 8" to spare on each end.
Back to top Go down
Bopdude

Advice required Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice required   Advice required EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 14:19

caspian40 wrote:

The admins are enforcing the "no weight post declined" requirement, see the description (the admins approve or decline all posts). There are a large number of posts that are either not UL kit, or with no weight.

We don't want this page to end up as general kit for sale - please help us by only posting UL kit and adding weights

No idea why you can't see it when I can ? sounds like you may be sorted anyway Smile

EDIT: I know why now, it's from Dec 2017 lol, may have gone already ?
Back to top Go down
caspian40

Advice required Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice required   Advice required EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 14:51

Bopdude wrote:
caspian40 wrote:

No idea why you can't see it when I can ? sounds like you may be sorted anyway Smile

EDIT: I know why now, it's from Dec 2017 lol, may have gone already ?
Ah that be why then lol not to worry i will be looking at a warbonnet blackbird this evening but thanks for you input and info much appreciated
Back to top Go down
caspian40

Advice required Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice required   Advice required EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 14:52

Gadget wrote:
If you end up with the Blackbird XLC, you could pair it with a Napsack Hammocks tarp,

well thank you kind Sir that looks the biz and excellent price too
Back to top Go down
caspian40

Advice required Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice required   Advice required EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 15:23

Gadget wrote:

just been on there and fired off an email to them re-tarp awaiting reply Thanks for the link Gadget
Back to top Go down
Bopdude

Advice required Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice required   Advice required EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 17:15

Nice they are too, my mate had one with him weekend just gone, nice bit of kit Smile
Back to top Go down
caspian40

Advice required Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice required   Advice required EmptyWed 09 Jan 2019, 17:53

Bopdude wrote:
Nice they are too, my mate had one with him weekend just gone, nice bit of kit Smile

Thats good to hear i must check my email see fi they got back to me they show none in stock at mo
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Advice required Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice required   Advice required Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice required
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next