Hammock UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hammock UK

A forum to discuss all aspects of hammocks and hammock camping in the UK

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Recent Posts  

Advice needed on hammock material and thread please.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jay
jay

Advice needed on hammock material and thread please. Empty
PostSubject: Advice needed on hammock material and thread please.   Advice needed on hammock material and thread please. EmptySun 01 Jul 2018, 20:18

Hi I have recently been gifted a sewing machine and am wanting to make a hammock (channel end), could any one advise me on a thread suitable for a domestic sewing machine and where to get some ripstop nylon material from(wider the better).

Thank you

jay
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on hammock material and thread please.   Advice needed on hammock material and thread please. EmptySun 08 Jul 2018, 14:43

Gutermann thread is reckoned the best, and Mara 70 is the one usually recommended for hammocks.
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on hammock material and thread please.   Advice needed on hammock material and thread please. EmptySun 08 Jul 2018, 14:46

Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on hammock material and thread please.   Advice needed on hammock material and thread please. EmptySun 08 Jul 2018, 14:47

Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on hammock material and thread please.   Advice needed on hammock material and thread please. EmptySun 08 Jul 2018, 14:50

Of course, Dutchware do Hexon in regular and wide too,
https://dutchwaregear.com/product/hexon-1-6/
and
https://dutchwaregear.com/product/hexon-w-1-6/
(reckon Hexon is very slightly better than HyperD)
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on hammock material and thread please.   Advice needed on hammock material and thread please. EmptySun 08 Jul 2018, 14:57

If you want to keep it duty free (for now!), then extremtextil have this,
https://www.extremtextil.de/en/ripstop-nylon-hammock-nylon-70den-66g-sqm-impregnated.html

66gsm is 1.95oz/yd and it is 1.5m wide (59")
Back to top Go down
jay
jay

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on hammock material and thread please.   Advice needed on hammock material and thread please. EmptySun 08 Jul 2018, 15:55

Thank you Gadget for the links, appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Mittagsfrost

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on hammock material and thread please.   Advice needed on hammock material and thread please. EmptySun 08 Jul 2018, 21:05

I'd recommend Hexon 1.6, Gütermann Mara 70 and Microtex sharp machine needles.
Back to top Go down
jay
jay

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on hammock material and thread please.   Advice needed on hammock material and thread please. EmptyThu 12 Jul 2018, 18:08

Thanks all! I have purchased some Mara 70 thread, Microtex needles and some cheap ripstop nylon from ebay. The ripstop nylon is only 92cm wide but it was only £7 for 5m, so I am going to use that first to make a snakeskin for the tarp and another for the hammock, so I can get some practice in on the sewing machine. I am pretty sure that I will have seen better stitches on Frankenstein by the time I have finished. double thumb up
Back to top Go down
jay
jay

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on hammock material and thread please.   Advice needed on hammock material and thread please. EmptyFri 17 Aug 2018, 18:45

Well I finally got round to making my skins this week and am pretty pleased with the results, I also sewed loops into my dutch webbing bought in the group buy. I am off to try them out on my permission tomorrow, will post some pics up on my return.

Thanks for the advice people double thumb up

One thing I found helpful when sewing the ripstop together was to hold it together with painters masking tape rather than pins, easy to remove and no residue left behind.
Back to top Go down
Mittagsfrost

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on hammock material and thread please.   Advice needed on hammock material and thread please. EmptyMon 20 Aug 2018, 20:19

Another option is to use wonder clips.
Back to top Go down
Gadget
Herder of Cats
Gadget

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on hammock material and thread please.   Advice needed on hammock material and thread please. EmptyMon 20 Aug 2018, 20:53

+1 for Wonder Clips.
Much easier than pinning.
Back to top Go down
jay
jay

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on hammock material and thread please.   Advice needed on hammock material and thread please. EmptyTue 21 Aug 2018, 17:49

Thanks for the suggestion there guys. They look great, I shall get me some. thumb up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on hammock material and thread please.   Advice needed on hammock material and thread please. Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice needed on hammock material and thread please.
Page 1 of 1