Hammock UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hammock UK

A forum to discuss all aspects of hammocks and hammock camping in the UK

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Recent Posts  

Compress snakeskin-wrapped hammock?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
deejayen

Compress snakeskin-wrapped hammock? Empty
PostSubject: Compress snakeskin-wrapped hammock?   Compress snakeskin-wrapped hammock? EmptySun 28 Apr 2019, 20:47

I was given a used Hennessey hammock a few years ago, and I'm now getting around to trying it out! I'm not exactly sure which model it is - I think it might be a Backpacker Ultralight with bottom entry.

It has snakeskins, which seem to be useful, but it's quite a bulky package (I'll be using it when cycling, and don't have a lot of space).

What's the best way to pack the snakeskin-wrapped hammock so that it takes up minimal space?
Back to top Go down
Mittagsfrost

PostSubject: Re: Compress snakeskin-wrapped hammock?   Compress snakeskin-wrapped hammock? EmptySun 28 Apr 2019, 21:27

The denser the snakeskin is packed the more difficult it is to compress the „sausage“. I used my Hennessy hammock with a larger (bigger diameter) DIY snakeskin to be able to pack it more compact.
Back to top Go down
deejayen

PostSubject: Re: Compress snakeskin-wrapped hammock?   Compress snakeskin-wrapped hammock? EmptyMon 29 Apr 2019, 12:04

Thanks for that. I wondered if a compression sack might be the answer, but as you say, it could be that the Hennessy snakeskins are too tight.

I suppose that's the least of my problems for now - I need to get a tarp and some bottom insulation before I worry about packing the hammock.
Back to top Go down
Meadows

PostSubject: Re: Compress snakeskin-wrapped hammock?   Compress snakeskin-wrapped hammock? EmptyWed 01 May 2019, 23:20

I dont really get a hammock in skins. I didnt find any advantage over a double ended stuff sack especially where pack size is concerned. A stuff sack with a hole poked in the bottom suffices.
As long as its not stuffed too tightly in what ever stuff sack/skins it should conform to the space to allow flat packing rather than a solid lump.
Bishop bags also do double duty as a peak bag.
Do the HH skins allow air to pass through the fabric?
Back to top Go down
deejayen

PostSubject: Re: Compress snakeskin-wrapped hammock?   Compress snakeskin-wrapped hammock? EmptyThu 02 May 2019, 16:16

Thanks for that. I think a double ended stuff sack would be better for me than the snake skins. Once I get my hammock rig sorted and I'm ready to use it on a bike trip I'll probably look at getting a double ended stuff sack.

The Hennessy snake skins do wrap the hammock up tightly, but then they're a bit unwieldy, and difficult to roll up or pack into a small saddlebag etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Compress snakeskin-wrapped hammock?   Compress snakeskin-wrapped hammock? Empty

Back to top Go down

Compress snakeskin-wrapped hammock?
Page 1 of 1