Hammock UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hammock UK

A forum to discuss all aspects of hammocks and hammock camping in the UK

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Recent Posts  

Small day hang setup

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Meadows

Small day hang setup Empty
PostSubject: Small day hang setup   Small day hang setup EmptyFri 21 Sep 2018, 12:31

I've been planning on making this for ages but life gets on the way.
I'm happy with my camping setup (diy 12'6" hammock and diy tarp with doors ) but wanted something smaller and lighter that takes less room in a day bag.
The hammock is the easy bit so did that first.
The tarp is going to be an asym type as I have some 180cm ripstop which I will need to add a silicone coating to make waterproof (that's the tricky bit).

Hammock is pertex 45gsm picked up from ebay. 9'6"finished length x 160cm wide, end channel tied off to make a bobble and a continuous loop larks footed on to accept suspension. RL is adjustable at mo untill i get a feel for correct length. 250g for the hammock. I'll add things here as I finish them.Small day hang setup 20180910
Back to top Go down
SteveB6
SteveB6

PostSubject: Re: Small day hang setup   Small day hang setup EmptyFri 21 Sep 2018, 19:38

Nice work! Great colour.

Out of interest, do you notice any/much difference in being able to get a comfortable diagonal lie in the shorter hammock?

(Conventional wisdom tells us that the longer the hammock the better the lie).

Just wondering if in practice the 3 foot difference in length really makes that much difference. (I guess it depends upon your height as well.

Cheers
Steve
Back to top Go down
Meadows

PostSubject: Re: Small day hang setup   Small day hang setup EmptySat 22 Sep 2018, 01:27

I only had 5 mins testing due to rain but it was a nice diagonal lay. I made an 8'6 for my son and can get diagonal in that but it does feel like my feet and head would fall out if I wriggle too much, although it is narrower at around 130cm.
The main difference was how flat I felt. I'm tall at 6'6 and the extra length of my big hammock is just great.
Back to top Go down
SteveB6
SteveB6

PostSubject: Re: Small day hang setup   Small day hang setup EmptySat 22 Sep 2018, 08:03

Yeah, for a quick/ short day hanger I use the DD Superlite which is even smaller than your day hanger and find I feel 'pinched' at the shoulders.

I have slept in it overnight on two occasions but wouldn't do it again by choice, but it is do-able if weight/ space was ever a real issue or in an emergency.

Cheers
Steve
Back to top Go down
Meadows

PostSubject: Re: Small day hang setup   Small day hang setup EmptyTue 02 Oct 2018, 20:56

After some rigorous and hard earned testing i made a fixed RL from a 1.5mm dyneema dogbone and knocked up a big side opening RLO. Thats an xl, 100 weight fleece in there.

Small day hang setup 20181010
Small day hang setup 20181011
Back to top Go down
Meadows

PostSubject: Re: Small day hang setup   Small day hang setup EmptyMon 08 Oct 2018, 15:10

Finished off the hammock with a double ended stuff sack from the same fabric. 276g all in plus whetever for suspension, about 100g.

Still mulling over ideas for the tarp. Material is 180cm wide so thinking on a variation of a rectangular tarp with an offset RL for minimum fabric and maximum coverage.
Back to top Go down
Meadows

PostSubject: Re: Small day hang setup   Small day hang setup EmptyTue 30 Oct 2018, 23:35

Ive started the tarp. Ive cut the fabric, reinforced the corners and hemmed it to a finished size of 3mx1.8m.
Currently 200g but still more to add
Back to top Go down
Mittagsfrost

PostSubject: Re: Small day hang setup   Small day hang setup EmptyWed 31 Oct 2018, 08:02

May be you can double use the tarp as a poncho, since it is so terrible heavy?

Very interesting project. Keep us informed, please!
Back to top Go down
Meadows

PostSubject: Re: Small day hang setup   Small day hang setup EmptyThu 01 Nov 2018, 21:23

Used seam grip to bond on the reinforcements.
Should have done it before hemming to avoid the mess.
The 2 semi circles will be joined by grosgrain to form a more solid ridge as its on the bias and stretches loads.Small day hang setup 20181110
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Small day hang setup   Small day hang setup Empty

Back to top Go down

Small day hang setup
Page 1 of 1